SubjectRe: sys_chroot+sys_fchdir Fix
On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:28:08AM +0200, Christer Weinigel wrote:
> So the OpenBSD man page seems to be in the minority here. Any portable
> code can not assume that CWD changes. And changing the Linux behaviour
> now would be a rather big change which might break userspace. And yes,
> there are applications that rely on this, I've used it when building
> software for cross compiling.

Changing Linux behavior would violate the POSIX and SuSV2
specifications; the standards explicitly state that the working
directory will NOT change. And standards adherance is important; we
break them only if we have a d*mn good reason. And trying to make
chroot() something which it is not (i.e., a secure jail) is certainly
not a good enough reason.

Can we please end this thread now? And can we put in a Kernel FAQ
saying that this is not something which is NOT up for discussion?

- Ted