    SubjectRe: sys_chroot+sys_fchdir Fix
    On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 09:28:08AM +0200, Christer Weinigel wrote:
    > So the OpenBSD man page seems to be in the minority here. Any portable
    > code can not assume that CWD changes. And changing the Linux behaviour
    > now would be a rather big change which might break userspace. And yes,
    > there are applications that rely on this, I've used it when building
    > software for cross compiling.

    Changing Linux behavior would violate the POSIX and SuSV2
    specifications; the standards explicitly state that the working
    directory will NOT change. And standards adherance is important; we
    break them only if we have a d*mn good reason. And trying to make
    chroot() something which it is not (i.e., a secure jail) is certainly
    not a good enough reason.

    Can we please end this thread now? And can we put in a Kernel FAQ
    saying that this is not something which is NOT up for discussion?

    - Ted

      Last update: 2007-09-27 13:25    [W:0.023 / U:1.952 seconds]