    Subjectkernel 2.6.23-rc6 hangs on Geode GX1
    Date
    Hello all,

    I have random hangs on kernel boot or after few minutes on a NatSemi Geode
    GX1 based PC-104 (from Advantech) using kernel 2.6.23-rc6. The system locks,
    no way to use SysRq key, no usefull logs.

    No problems using kernel 2.6.21 series that I was using before with same
    config options.

    I found that commenting out "geode_configure" call in
    arch/i386/kernel/cpu/cyrix.c the problem is fixed.

    I guess recent changes to cyrix.c that replace macros setCx86/getCx86 with
    inlined functions have now "activate" performance tricks in geode_configure
    code that previously were "inactive" due to wrong macro espansion. So not
    only "Suspend on Halt" function is enabled but also less or not documented
    geode tricks (incrementor margin, fast fpu, write-back) now broken on some
    GX1/GXm platform (maybe because of BIOS?)

    I can further investigate on what exact geode_configure part cause my hangs,
    but I suggest to make a config options to explicity enable Geode performance
    tricks only if requested (maybe using CONFIG_MGEODEGX1) .

    Regards
    Marco Tralli
    Snap-on Equipment

    processor : 0
    vendor_id : CyrixInstead
    cpu family : 5
    model : 9
    model name : Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 299.239
    cache size : 16 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 2
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx cxmmx
    bogomips : 596.37

      Last update: 2007-09-27 17:13    [W:0.042 / U:29.368 seconds]