    SubjectRe: [-mm patch] unexport sys_{open,read}
    On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 04:14:56PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    > Maybe I'm too pessimistic in my assumption that external open module
    > writers don't actually follow mainline closely; and maybe part of me
    > would love for them to follow it closer, so close that they would even
    > consider submitting their driver for it. But sadly from experience...
    > warnings dont' work. Only when things break hard people notice.

    We've both done the same job, so it's unsurprising that we share the
    same view on this. A number of times I've had out of tree module
    authors complaining to _me_ because "Fedora fucked up my module, it
    works fine in $otherdistro" (ignoring the fact that $otherdistro
    is a point release or more behind Fedora).

    There's definitly a culture-gap between some out-of-tree module
    authors and people who intend from day 1 to get their code merged
    into mainline. The former don't know what happens in mainline
    until several distros start moving onto newer kernels, so no amount
    of warnings is going to help these people.

      Last update: 2007-09-25 23:23    [W:0.049 / U:88.616 seconds]