SubjectRE: Message codes (Re: [Announce] Linux-tiny project revival)

think.

I'll do what I like, thank you. I'll continue to use Linux, I think
it's a fine fit for the way *I* think.

>I'm sympathetic to "shrink the binary size" arguments. I'm not really
>sympathic to "keep the customer in the dark intentionally" arguments,
>whether
>the justification is "because they're stupid", "to increase dependency
on
>our
>support staff", or any other reason.

You are now talking religion at this point. Do you have a technical or
even experience based point to make?

I have experience that has shown that providing too much information in
a production product can is confusing, harmful and costly when dealing
with consumers. Your opinions won't change that.

I proposed a mechanism for keeping all the printk data and saving space
buy doing some table based compressions that has the side effect of
making the syslog not human readable. You proposed a mechanism for
no-oping out complete log-levels.

Which way hides more from the user? No-oping the log-levels is the
easier to implement.

>> >Seriously. When in the Windows there are only messages like:
>> >
>> > "Error (Code:0x00002012)".
>>
>> Now it's been ~8 years since I did any serious windows work, but if I
>> recall correctly ALL THE FRICKING TIME!!! When was the last time
you've
>> seen a bug check on windows? This is about all you get.
>
>I believe he was holding it up as a bad example, and definitely not
>something
>we want to emulate.

There is a time and place for many things. Even error codes.

--mgross

  Last update: 2007-09-22 00:15    [W:0.088 / U:0.816 seconds]