SubjectRe: [RFC + PATCH] signalfd simplification
On 09/01, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> I'm playing at the moment with this patch, that recall Ben's idea of
> attaching to the sighand only during read/poll, and calling dequeue_signal()
> only with "current". This simplifies the signalfd logic quite a bit.
> If this patch is applied, a task calling signalfd can read its own private
> signals, and its own group signals.
>
> fs/exec.c | 3
> fs/signalfd.c | 186 +++++++---------------------------------------
> include/linux/init_task.h | 2
> include/linux/sched.h | 2
> include/linux/signalfd.h | 29 -------
> kernel/exit.c | 9 --
> kernel/fork.c | 2
> kernel/signal.c | 8 -

Imho, very very nice. We lose the ability to read the cross-process signals,
but I doubt very much we should regret about that.

I cc'ed Michael, because it makes sense to document a user-visible change.
With this patch, the forked child reads its own signals (not parent's) via
the inherited signalfd (or if it was passed with unix socket).

Small problem: unless I missed something, signalfd_deliver() and sys_signalfd()
should use wake_up_all(), not wake_up() which implies nr_exclusive == 1.

It is possible that we have multiple threads waiting on ->signalfd_wqh with
the the different ->sigmask. In this case, the first woken thread can ignore
the signal, we should wake up all of them.

We can optimize this later, using a "clever" wait_queue_func_t if needed.

> + spin_lock_irq(&current->sighand->siglock);
> + if (next_signal(&current->pending, &ctx->sigmask) > 0 ||
> + next_signal(&current->signal->shared_pending,
> + &ctx->sigmask) > 0)

Very minor nit: next_signal() always returns the value >= 0, imho the "> 0"
check looks a bit confusing.

Oleg.

  Last update: 2007-09-02 14:19    [W:0.035 / U:0.888 seconds]