SubjectRe: [00/41] Large Blocksize Support V7 (adds memmap support)

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Nathan Scott wrote:

> FWIW (and I hate to let reality get in the way of a good conspiracy) -
> all SGI systems have always defaulted to using 4K blocksize filesystems;

Yes. And I've been told that:

> there's very few customers who would use larger

.. who apparently would like to move to x86-64. That was what people
implied at the kernel summit.

> especially as the Linux
> kernel limitations in this area are well known. There's no "16K mess"
> that SGI is trying to clean up here (and SGI have offered both IA64 and
> x86_64 systems for some time now, so not sure how you came up with that
> whacko theory).

Well, if that is the case, then I vote that we drop the whole patch-series
entirely. It clearly has no reason for existing at all.

There is *no* valid reason for 16kB blocksizes unless you have legacy
issues. The performance issues have nothing to do with the block-size, and
should be solvable by just making sure that your stupid "state of the art"
crap SCSI controller gets contiguous physical memory, which is best done
in the read-ahead code.

So get your stories straight, people.

Linus

  Last update: 2007-09-19 03:11    [W:0.217 / U:0.072 seconds]