SubjectRe: sata_nv issues with MCP51 SATA controller
John Stoffel wrote:
> What happens when you just have ONE disk connected to the motherboard
> controller, and the rest connected to PCI controllers? Does it crap
> out then? You've just such a nice repeatable problem across
> motherboards that it's a shame to waste this debugging time.

Sorry, I gave in. I have now abandoned my nvidia trials (both
motherboards have been returned, and I'm now running with Intel chipset)
- My current motherboard is less ideal (in terms of PCI-slots etc.), but
on the other hand it works...
> I'm wondering if it's a PCI bus issue somehow, and that the load on
> the motherboard controller isn't supportable when you have a bunch of
> disks on PCI controllers as well. Shot in the dark...

That was actually not such a bad idea... Unfortunately it's too late now
(If not I should have tested for sure). I was/am after all running an
8-disk SATA array (plus a normal IDE disk - not in the raid). I had 4
disks running through two PCI-cards and 4 disks used the motherboard's
controller. - When all 8 disks were connected to the two PCI-cards the
speed dropped compared to when the motherboard's controller took some
load.. (So it could maybe be an issue with bandwidth / load ? - I don't
know.)
> Thanks for all your hard work on this, I know how frustrating it is to
> not have a stable system!

Sorry for giving in, but I felt I was banging my head against the wall
(and with too few sensible solutions being suggested). Now I guess I'm
semi-happy that all seems to work OK with the Intel chipset..
Frustrating that the sata_nv-driver / nvidia HW didn't work with my
configuration, though...

Thank you all for your effort as well - hope someone figures this out
sometime in the future.

All the best
Jon Ivar

  Last update: 2007-09-15 21:33    [W:1.180 / U:0.192 seconds]