    SubjectRe: sata & scsi suggestion for make menuconfig
    Randy Dunlap wrote:
    > On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 14:48:00 +0200 Folkert van Heusden wrote:
    >

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Maybe it is a nice enhancement for make menuconfig to more explicitly
    >> give a pop-up or so when someone selects for example a sata controller
    >> while no 'scsi-disk' support was selected?
    >>

    > I know that it's difficult to get people to read docs & help text,
    > and maybe it is needed in more places, but CONFIG_ATA (SATA/PATA)
    > help text says:
    >
    > NOTE: ATA enables basic SCSI support; *however*,
    > 'SCSI disk support', 'SCSI tape support', or
    > 'SCSI CDROM support' may also be needed,
    > depending on your hardware configuration.
    >

    > A popup makes some sense, but I don't know if menuconfig knows how to
    > do popup warnings... and it needs to be done for all *configs,
    > not just menuconfig.

    A popup hardly ever makes sense - popups generally are a
    bad user interface. The user will have to dismiss the popup -
    every time - whether he needs the warning or not.

    But feel free to print a warning somewhere, such as a
    status line. The warning itself is useful, but not something
    we will have to dismiss in order to go on with the job.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2007-09-13 10:59    [W:0.027 / U:1.236 seconds]