SubjectRe: stripping down the kernel-parameters.txt file
On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:47:38 -0400 Kyle Moffett wrote:

> On Sep 12, 2007, at 10:44:29, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > in the end, there should be a nice, *short* reference for what i
> > like to call "basic" kernel parms (defined by __setup() or
> > early_param()), while anyone who wants to learn about any module-
> > specific parms should then have to go look up the info for that
> > given module, that's all.
> >
> > as a trivial starting point, this would involve nothing more than
> > shifting current content around in kernel-parameters.txt, putting
> > the basic stuff at the top, and the module-specific stuff after
> > that. heck, that would even give module authors the chance to add
> > a line or two of module description if they wanted. how does life
> > get any better than that?
>
> Well, maybe if modules could be used similarly to: "modprobe
> my_module --help" to give a description of the available module
> parameters. That information might be merged into modules from text

modinfo prints out all MODULE_PARM_DESC() strings.

> file(s) or vice-versa, but I can see it being significantly more
> useful. Another mildly-useful feature would be to stick the basic
> boot params and those for built-in modules into a little text file
> which could optionally be embedded in the initramfs along with the
> "less" binary, so that a "vmlinuz --help" could be made to work
> usefully from your bootloader.

This has come up before. I wrote the attached 'module-params'
script last October (2006). It can search .c files or .ko files
for module parameters...

---
~Randy

  Last update: 2007-09-12 20:01    [W:0.613 / U:0.204 seconds]