    SubjectRe: 2.6.23-rc6: hanging ext3 dbench tests

    On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

    > I have a couple of failed test runs against 2.6.23-rc6 where the
    > job timed out while running dbench over ext3. Both on powerpc,
    > though both significantly different hardware setups. A failed
    > run like this implies that the machine was still responsive to
    > other processes but the dbench was making no progress. There is
    > no console diagnostics during the failure.

    Since the machine seems to be otherwise alive, can you do a sysrq-W (which
    is most easily done by just doing a

    echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger

    and you don't actually need any console access or anything like that).

    That should give you all the blocked process traces, and if it's a
    deadlock on some semaphore or other, it should all stand out quite nicely.

    In fact, things like the above are probably worth scripting for any
    automated testing - if you auto-fail after some time, please make the
    failure case do that sysrq-W by default.

    (The other sysrq things can be useful too - "T" shows the same as "W",
    except for _all_ tasks, which is often so verbose that it hides the
    problem, but is sometimes the right thing to do).

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-09-11 19:03    [W:0.032 / U:119.812 seconds]