    SubjectRe: [RFC+PATCH] RTC calibration
    Date
    Mark Gross <mgross@linux.intel.com> writes:
    > Is it necessary to change the rtc interface? Can't you detect within
    > your m48t59 driver that you are getting consistent time adjustments up
    > or down from whats in the rtc and infer it needs speeding up or slowing
    > down?

    [I didn't notice this when I first replied]

    Because of the RTC's low resolution and of how the calibration is
    implemented in the chip, you need to sample the clock at intervals of
    several hours in order to determine the direction of the required
    adjustment. Repeatedly setting the RTC to the correct time will
    actually prevent correct calibration.

    DES
    --
    Dag-Erling Smørgrav