    SubjectRe: [-mm patch] unexport sys_{open,read}
    > I would like to see "everyone" explain what we lose by giving developers a
    > bit of warning before we break their stuff.

    We lose the ability to get anything done on a timescale that makes it
    happen. Instead we have this continual cycle of remove, akpm says no,
    submitter forgets, 3 month pause, remove, akpm says no, ...

    Adrian does now and then try and remove stuff its stupid to remove.
    People NAK those quite promptly. We've been trying to deprecate sys_open
    and the other related exports since 1.3.x or thereabouts.

    There is almost no correct sane way to use these exports either, because
    your fs struct may be shared so horrible things happen.

    I'm (minus the language selection) with Christoph "Effing" Hellwig on this
    one - for these symbols at least. When we break stuff people moan and we
    can put them back, providing they go into the Linus tree fairly early in
    the -rc sequence. In the cases we've inadvertently broken stuff before
    people have moaned fairly quickly too - eg when the tty layer took some
    inlines into _GPL exports by accident.

    Alan

      Last update: 2007-09-10 14:27    [W:0.021 / U:1.592 seconds]