    SubjectRe: PATCH/RFC: [kdump] fix APIC shutdown sequence
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    >> I think a lot would be gained if disable_IO_APIC() would just mask the IRQs
    >> (like the function in my patch does), and perhaps fix the dest ID, instead of
    >> totally clearing the registers.
    >
    > Even masked we still won't see the EOI, because then we are in i8259
    > mode. So masked versus totally cleared really should make no
    > difference.

    You are talking about EOI sent in the kdump kernel, correct? With my patch
    the EOI (sent in the "old" kernel) is seen.

    > I guess right now I can see work put into cleaning things up a little
    > or not having to call disable_IO_APIC() at all. that was supposed
    > to be a short term hack, until we fixed things properly.
    >
    > So far no one has been brave enough to mess with the kernel apic
    > initialization order so we can remove disable_IO_APIC. If our
    > goal isn't to fix things properly by removing the need for
    > disable_IO_APIC I don't feel like putting much effort into this
    > code path.

    Who is working on this? Can you give a reference to a list of things that
    would need to be done to do this right?

    Martin

    --
    Martin Wilck
    PRIMERGY System Software Engineer

    Fujitsu Siemens Computers GmbH
    Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1
    33106 Paderborn
    Germany

    Tel: ++49 5251 8 15113
    Fax: ++49 5251 8 20409
    Email: mailto:martin.wilck@fujitsu-siemens.com
    Internet: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com

      Last update: 2007-08-08 20:25    [W:5.684 / U:0.024 seconds]