SubjectRe: about modularization
Date
Rene,

Of the uni-processor systems currently that can run Linux, I would not
doubt if 99.9999% percent are uni-cores. It will be probably
3-5 years minimum before the multi-core processors will have any
decent percentage of systems.

And I am not suggesting not supporting them. I am only suggesting
is wrt the schedular, bring the system up with a default schedular,
and then load additional functionality based on the hardware/software
requirements of the system.

Thus, the fallout MIGHT be a uni-processor CFS that would not migrate
tasks between multiple CPUs and as additional processors are brought
online, migration could be enabled, and gang type scheduling, whatever
could be then used.

IMO, if their is a fault (because of heat, etc) the user would rather
bring
up the system in a degraded mode. Same reason applies to...
boot -s..

Mitchell Erblich

Rene Herman wrote:

> On 08/06/2007 10:20 PM, Mitchell Erblich wrote:
>
> > Thus, a hybrid schedular approach could be taken
> > that would default to a single uni-processor schedular
>
> What a brilliant idea in a world where buying a non multi core CPU is
> getting to be only somewhat easier than a non SMT one...
>
> Rene.
> -

  Last update: 2007-08-06 23:51    [W:0.046 / U:0.092 seconds]