    SubjectRe: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]
    Hi!

    > > That would just save reading the directories. Not sure
    > > it helps that much. Much better would be actually if it didn't stat the
    > > individual files (and force their dentries/inodes in). I bet it does that to
    > > find out if they are directories or not. But in a modern system it could just
    > > check the type in the dirent on file systems that support
    > > that and not do a stat. Then you would get much less dentries/inodes.
    >
    > FWIW, find(1) does *not* stat non-directories (and neither would this
    > approach). So it's just dentries for directories and you can't realistically
    > skip those. OK, you could - if you had banned cross-directory rename
    > for directories and propagated "dirty since last look" towards root (note
    > that it would be a boolean, not a timestamp). Then we could skip unchanged
    > subtrees completely...

    Could we help it a little from kernel and set 'dirty since last look'
    on directory renames?

    I mean, this is not only updatedb. KDE startup is limited by this,
    too. It would be nice to have effective 'what change in tree'
    operation.
    Pavel