    SubjectRe: recent nfs change causes autofs regression

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

    > Trond has a point Linus.

    I don't dispute that the new code does somethign good.

    But it changes existing behaviour.

    When we add NEW BEHAVIOUR, we don't add it to old interfaces when that
    breaks old user mode! We add a new flag saying "I want the new behaviour".

    This is not rocket science, guys. This is very basic kernel behaviour. The
    kernel exists only to serve user space, and that means that there is no
    more important thing to do than to make sure you don't break existing
    users, unless you have some *damns* strong reasons.

    > What he "broke" is, for example, a ro mount being mounted as rw.

    No. What he broke was a working and sane setup.

    The fact that he may *also* have broken insane setups is totally
    irrelevant. Don't go off on some tangent that has nothing to do with the
    regression in question!

    > If ext3 in some rare case (which would still mean it hit a few thousand users)
    > failed to remember that a file had been marked read-only and allowed writes to
    > it, wouldn't we want to fix that too? It would cause regressions, but we'd fix
    > it, right?

    Stop blathering. Of course we fix security holes. But we don't break
    things that don't need breaking. This wasn't a security hole.

    You are making up irrelevant arguments that have nothing to do with this
    regression.

    If you want new behaviour, you add a new flag saying you want new
    behaviour. You don't just start behaving differently from what you've
    always done before (and what *other* UNIXes do, for that matter).

    Besides, even *if* it was a matter of somebody doing a mount with "rw",
    when the previous mount was "ro", returning EBUSY is still the wrong thing
    to do! If the user asks for a new mount that is read-write, he should just
    get it - ie we should not re-use the old client handles, and we should do
    what Solaris apparently does, namely to just make it a totally different
    mount.

    In other words, it should (as I already mentioned once) have used
    "nosharecache" by default, which makes it all work.

    Then, people who want to re-use the caches (which in turn may mean that
    everything needs to have the same flags), THOSE PEOPLE, who want the NEW
    SEMANTICS (errors and all) should then use a "sharecache" flag.

    See? You don't have to screw people over.

    > mount passes back the error code on a failed mount. autofs passes that error
    > along too (when people configure syslog correctly). In short; when these
    > serious mistakes are made and caught, the admin sees an error in his logs.

    Bullshit. "Seeing the error in his logs" doesn't help anything. The
    problem wasn't the lack of error, the problem was that it was a new and
    unnecessary error in the first place. Logging it doesn't make it any less
    buggy.

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-08-31 10:11    [W:2.371 / U:0.252 seconds]