    SubjectRe: gcc fixed size char array initialization bug - known?
    Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Randy Dunlap wrote:
    >
    >> C99 spec that Al referred you to (available for around US$18 as a pdf)
    >> says in 6.7.8, para. 14 (where Al said):
    >>
    >> "An array of character type may be initialized by a character string literal, optionally
    >> enclosed in braces. Successive characters of the character string literal (including the
    >> terminating null character if there is room or if the array is of unknown size) initialize the
    >> elements of the array."
    >
    > Wow... So, the terminating '\0' in the string constant IS "special" and
    > "optional"... Ok, then, THIS does answer my question, THIS I can
    > understand, and, ghm, accept...
    >
    > Thanks to all who tried to explain this to me and sorry it took so long...

    You should not have asked in the first place. The declaration

    char c[4] = "abcd"

    is perfectly valid. There is no cause for debate about it :)

    Thank you very much.

    Best Regards,

    Carlo

    --
    Carlo Florendo
    Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

    --
    The Astra Group of Companies
    5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City