SubjectRe: NFS hang + umount -f: better behaviour requested.
J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 02:50:42PM -0400, John Stoffel wrote:
>
>> Not in my experience. We use NetApps as our backing NFS servers, so
>> maybe my experience isn't totally relevant. But with a mix of Linux
>> and Solaris clients, we've never had problems with soft,intr on our
>> NFS clients.
>>
>> We also don't see file corruption, mysterious executables failing to
>> run, etc.
>>
>> Now maybe those issues are raised when you have a Linux NFS server
>> with Solaris clients. But in my book, reliable NFS servers are key,
>> and if they are reliable, 'soft,intr' works just fine.
>>

> The NFS server alone can't prevent the problems Peter Staubach refers
> to. Their frequency also depends on the network and the way you're
> using the filesystem. (A sufficiently paranoid application accessing
> the filesystem could function correctly despite the problems caused by
> soft mounts, but the degree of paranoia required probably isn't common.)

Would it be sufficient to insure that that application always issues an
fsync() before closing any recently written/updated file? Is there some
other subtle paranoid techniques that should be used?

ric

  Last update: 2007-08-24 18:19    [W:0.071 / U:0.296 seconds]