    SubjectRe: [Tech-board-discuss] Re: [Ksummit-2007-discuss] Re: Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections
    On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:34:34PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

    > > > Exactly ... we want a process that's simple and transparent. We chose
    > > > voting at the KS because almost all the attendees satisfy the "made
    > > > significant contributions to Linux" requirement without us having to do
    > > > anything or make any controversial determinations. Like Matt said,
    > > > better suggestions are welcome.
    > >
    > > This is a dumb suggestion, but...
    > >
    > > How about one vote per git commit merged to linus' tree?
    > >
    > > Might be worthwhile to allocate votes for Acked-By and so on, as well.
    >
    > Because git only goes back to 2.6.12.

    If you haven't had a patch accepted since 2.6.12, it's not really
    clear you're still a contributor.

    Giving various kernel janitors more votes than people doing more
    difficult work might be frowned on though.

    But I can see giving, say, the top N contributors by some simple
    metric a vote. That'd broaden the base. (But given that only about 30%
    of last year's KS attendees voted even though they were a more or less
    captive audience, I'd be surprised if many bothered.)

    The other part of the puzzle is including the wider Linux community.