SubjectRe: intel_rng: FWH not detected (and no entropy)
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Pierre Chifflier wrote:
> I'm not sure the mhat a hardware RNG is present, so I want to check.

Open the mobo, and locate all FLASH chips. If one of them is a 82802AB or
82802AC, then you *MIGHT* have an Intel FWH with a HRNG (some of the FWHs
have their RNGs disabled, and since Intel stopped guaranteeing the RNG is
there, they would install one such FWH in their boards just the same). If
none are a 82802AB or 82802AC, you don't have an Intel FWH with a HRNG.

Even if you had an Intel board that is known to sometimes have an Intel FWH
with an RNG, like the D875PBZ, that wouldn't mean much. They could have
used an non-Intel equivalent part for that production run, for unknown
reasons. You really have to check.

Henrique Holschuh