    SubjectRe: huge improvement with per-device dirty throttling
    On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 01:05:13PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Ok perhaps the new adaptive dirty limits helps your single disk
    > a lot too. But your improvements seem to be more "collateral damage" @)
    > But if that was true it might be enough to just change the dirty limits
    > to get the same effect on your system. You might want to play with
    > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_*

    The adaptive dirty limit is per task so it can't be reproduced with
    global sysctl. It made quite some difference when I researched into it
    in function of time. This isn't in function of time but it certainly
    makes a lot of difference too, actually it's the most important part
    of the patchset for most people, the rest is for the corner cases that
    aren't handled right currently (writing to a slow device with
    writeback cache has always been hanging the whole thing).

      Last update: 2007-08-22 14:49    [W:0.019 / U:108.256 seconds]