    SubjectRe: Thinking outside the box on file systems
    Marc Perkel wrote:
    > What's the point? People are openly hostile to new
    > ideas here. I started out nice and laid out my ideas
    > and you have a bunch of morons who attack anything
    > new.

    People here are not hostile to any new idea. They are
    generally hostile to anyone who suggest some
    "improvement" that he wants others to actually implement.
    Because that is acting like a boss, and you're not the boss here.

    Also - what do you expect when you bring an idea and say
    "well, don't look at what might go wrong, that's just
    limitations of the existing parts of linux?"

    Sure, everybody can overlook how your ideas don't fit into
    current linux - but then they have nothing more to say.
    What people here do is to look at new ideas/patches, and
    point out problems with them. When there are no more
    problems left, the patch is applied and linux improves.

    If we're not to point out problems with your ideas, then
    they can't be used in linux. That is not hostility, but how
    linux development works.

    Mostly people try to save you from doing unnecessary work -
    so you don't go and implement a flawed filesystem that
    will be rejected immediately when you show up with the patch.

    Shooting down bad ideas saves tremendous amounts of work,
    killing an idea at the discussion stage means the idea never
    got to the much more labor-intensive implementation stage.

    This don't mean that all new ideas are killed, only the bad ones.

    If you want your ideas accepted, you'll have to come up
    with something that isn't flawed, that is well planned, not
    just a bunch of "well - we could do *that* perhaps" but then
    it turns out that *that* idea was flawed as well.

    Helge Hafting

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2007-08-20 17:33    [W:0.022 / U:41.876 seconds]