    SubjectRe: 2.6.22 regression: thermal trip points
    Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    > I didn't understand the arguments either, actually.

    The issue is that you can actually kill hardware by setting this wrong.
    We've had such cases where trip point problems eventually lead
    to overheated laptops with hard disks dying etc.

    Also it runs the system out of spec and is similar to overclocking
    which we also do not support.

    > Here we had obviously-useful-to-you functionality which was taken away
    > without, afaik, providing any alternative.

    I don't think it's that unreasonable to require source code modifications
    for anything that can kill hardware. At least that raises the barrier
    a bit and hopefully ensures people think twice about it and then really
    only blame themselves if anything goes wrong.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2007-08-02 11:57    [W:3.043 / U:0.000 seconds]