    SubjectRe: tracking MAINTAINERS versus tracking SUBSYSTEMS
    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Joe Perches wrote:

    > On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 13:35 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
    > > $ show_subsystem drivers/bluetooth/bpa10x.c
    > "what's a subsystem"? I'm not sure there is an appropriate
    > definition. If there is an appropriate definition, why should anyone
    > care what subsystem a particular file is in?

    i'm confused -- i thought that was sort of the whole purpose of this
    exercise, to match parts of the kernel source tree against the
    maintainer for those parts, and to do that via the defined
    "subsystem" which is currently used in MAINTAINERS.

    you can, of course, banish the concept of a subsystem entirely and
    work purely from a file and directory perspective, but i think the
    notion of the kernel tree being composed of subsystems is a useful
    idea. that's just my opinion, though.

    Robert P. J. Day
    Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

      Last update: 2007-08-19 14:57    [W:0.039 / U:53.720 seconds]