    SubjectRe: Thinking outside the box on file systems
    On Wed, Aug 15, 2007 at 01:44:50PM -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
    > Yes - that's a good example. Git is far more powerful
    > and a different paradigm for CVS. Someone had to think
    > outside the box and come up with a new way of looking
    > at things. I'm trying to do something like that with
    > this idea.
    > To me it make more sense to get rid of file
    > permissions and look at people permissions. It reminds
    > me of a story a friend of mine told about her 4 year
    > old son.
    > The story was that they were driving down the road
    > when they saw a wheel come off a truck. The son said,
    > "look mommy, that wheel lost it's truck."
    > To me files are like the wheel. Rather than having the
    > file know all it's owners it makes more sense for the
    > owners to know it's files.

    Except for the fact that on most systems each owner may have millions of
    files, while very rarely does a file have more than a few dozen owners
    or groups. Having to wade through the permissions of millions of things
    seems like a lot more work than checking a few dozen things.

    Also the thing is that I care who can access files, while I do not
    really care what particular set of files a user has access to. It is
    the data I am protecting, not the user.

    Len Sorensen

      Last update: 2007-08-15 23:07    [W:0.020 / U:2.724 seconds]