    SubjectRe: Regression in 2.6.23-rc2-mm2, mounting cpusets causes a hang
    Serge wrote:
    > Paul, is the mems stuff in cpusets only really useful for NUMA cases?

    I haven't been following this closely, but offhand, my take is that:
    1) CONFIG_CPUSETS is primarily useful on SMP or NUMA systems.
    2) It can be configured on non-NUMA systems (it still seems to
    need CONFIG_SMP ... not sure why.)
    3) Kernels configured for CONFIG_CPUSETS can be (and often are)
    run on systems with just one CPU, or just one memory node.
    4) To the user, running a CONFIG_CPUSETS enabled kernel w/o
    CONFIG_NUMA, or on a system with just one memory node
    should allow all the usual CPUSET operations, as if
    one just had one memory node, number '0'.

    If all systems in our universe only had one memory node, then
    cpusets wouldn't do memory -- it would not be useful.

    But for consistency of interface between various configured systems,
    it is useful to have cpusets working the same across both NUMA and
    non-NUMA systems. Some systems just happen to have only one memory

    I won't rest till it's the best ...
    Programmer, Linux Scalability
    Paul Jackson <> 1.925.600.0401

      Last update: 2007-08-15 18:35    [W:0.020 / U:3.204 seconds]