    SubjectRe: splice question
    On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 12:41:54PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, David H?rdeman wrote:
    >> Otherwise I guess I'd have to add a second pipe, then (in a loop)
    >> tee() from the first to the second pipe and then splice from the second pipe
    >> to a socket. Doesn't sound very elegant and would need quite a lot of extra
    >> syscalls.
    >
    >You really should think of this as a memcpy(), and you'll be in the right
    >mindframe. The system calls themselves are cheap.

    Ok, I've implemented it using two pipes, and it works. But it does seem
    a bit wasteful...in case one client is not keeping up, the data will
    have to be tee():ed first from pipe1 to pipe2, only to then find out
    that the splice() from pipe2 to socket only does a partial transfer
    after which the data in pipe2 has to be thrown away and then the loop
    starts over with the next client.

    A tee() from pipe1 to the socket could (I imagine) realize immediately
    that the socket does not have enough buffer space and return EWOULDBLOCK
    and avoid at least one copy?

    --
    David Härdeman