SubjectRe: [ck] Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1
Hua Zhong wrote:

> I don't think it's the code superiority that decided the fate of the two
> schedulers. When CFS came out, the fate of SD was pretty much already
> decided. The fact is that Linus trusts Ingo, and as such he wants to merge
> Ingo's code. Of course I cannot say it's wrong, and Ingo's earned this
> it through years of hard work, but let's not kid ourselves and deny the
> obvious fact.

I agree with you here. It's not simply code superiority that matters but a
balance of attitude and the code's corroboration with numbers. Both had
numbers to show but I think that one's attitude was preferred over the other.

> I think Con was simply too frustrated after years of rejection. He could
> have been more diplomatic this time round. But no matter how he'd have
> done, once Ingo decided to write a new scheduler, the outcome was pretty
> much already decided.
> SD (and years of Con's work) inspired CFS. This is a fact. No matter how
> smart and capable Ingo is, he needs inspiration to keep the good work going.
> So I wish Ingo could work more closely with others and let them share a bit
> more credit which would just produce even better work.

I don't see where credit was lacking. As far as I've observed, SD's author
was given acknowledgment on what he did and even got praise.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator
Astra Philippines Inc.
UP-Ayala Technopark, UP Campus Diliman
1101 Quezon City, Philippines

The Astra Group of Companies