    SubjectRE: [ck] Re: Linus 2.6.23-rc1 -- It does not matter who's code gets merged!
    On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 11:40 -0700, Hua Zhong wrote:
    > > > And, from a standpoint of ONGOING, long-term innovation: what matters
    > > > is that brilliant, new ideas get rewarded one way or another.
    > >
    > > and in this case, the reward is that the idea got used and credit was
    > > given....
    >
    > You mean, when Ingo announced CFS he mentioned Con's name?

    and put his name in the code too

    > When you said "it does not matter whose code got merged", I have to
    > disagree. Sure, for the Linux community as a whole, for Linux itself,
    > it may not matter, but for the individuals involved, it does. And I
    > think benefits of individuals are as important as benefits of the
    > community (or the nation).

    I agree it's a nice ego boost to see your code merged.
    But... do you care more about your ego boost or about your problem
    getting solved? I really want to change this if you say "ego for code
    merging"... "ego boost for getting linux improved and being involved in
    solving an important problem" is a lot better type of ego boost..

    No developer can or should expect that most, or even half of his code to
    be merged. Even Linus doesn't get half the code he writes into linux :)

    Con did get a whole bunch of stuff merged over the years, and for the
    rest he mostly got the problem solved. That's pretty successful....

    --
    if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
    Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org