SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc1: T60 ACPI issues
(CC changed from Borislav to ibm-acpi-devel).

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > > 2. Pressing Fn/F4 does not trigger suspend to ram
> > > This normally triigers ACPI event which triggers suspend to RAM on Ubuntu
> > > (echo mem > /sys/power/state works)
> >
> > I'll bet this is your CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED=y.
> > I got the same, see my "THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED seems regressive"
> > mail to Henrique and lkml an hour ago.

[...]

> > > 3. After suspend to RAM, system wakes up but laptop's screen is blank,
> > > switching VTs etc does not help.
> > > External screen wakes up OK though.
> > > dmesg output from boot attached.
> >
> > (I've not had that.)
>
> Bingo.
> sudo rmmod thinkpad_acpi cures both 2 and 3.
> Thanks for pointing this out.

I can see how it would help with (2), as that prompty tells the firmware to
issue its default ACPI events for Fn+F4 upon removal. But I have *NO* idea
what thinkpad_acpi might be doing that is causing issues with the wake up
after a resume.

Please open a bug in bugzilla.kernel.org about it, and attach the full debug
output of a suspend+resume cycle with and without thinkpad-acpi loaded.

Also, please try the same with thinkpad-acpi loaded, but
CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_INPUT_ENABLED set to N. If the problem goes away,
please retest, but set hotkey_enable to 1 and do an "cat
/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_recommended_mask >
/sys/bus/platform/devices/thinkpad_acpi/hotkey_mask" before the sleep.

You will probably need to enable a bunch of debug options in ACPI and
thinkpad-acpi to get good enough logs. It is probably worth posting the
acpid logs too: the real difference might be there.

Henrique Holschuh