SubjectRe: v2.6.21.5-rt19
On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Gabriel C wrote:
> Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>>> and rt18 was a -rt-only NOHZ fix, that bug got introduced in rt11 when CFS
>>> was merged.
>>>
>>> i _think_ Rui might have seen two separate problems. Perhaps by the time
>>> we fixed the first problem (which Rui saw since -rt2) we introduced the
>>> other one via -rt11 - which then got fixed in -rt19.
>>
>> Ahh, CFS is now part of rt, I was obviously not paying attention... I'm
>> really trying to provide a "stable" rt kernel for audio usage and
>> including another subsystem into rt is - IMHO - not going to help.
>> What's the chance of splitting things?
>>
>>> btw., we'd love to get more feedback regarding CFS. CFS is a completely
>>> new scheduler for Linux.
>>
>> Then I'd rather have it separate from rt.
>>
>>> It has a design centered around keeping application latencies down, so it
>>> is ultimately real-time friendly, and it should also make things work
>>> better for desktop-ish and audio-ish stuff as well. (even under
>>> SCHED_OTHER)
>>>

>> Maybe this is CFS related? (tail of a thread in the Planet CCRMA mailing
>> list):
>>
>> On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 15:26 -0400, Hector Centeno wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so just to confirm, that 2.6.21-0182.rt19.1.fc7.ccrmart works fine
>>> on my desktop but on my laptop it makes Firefox and Tomboy to crash.
>>> On the same laptop using 2.6.21-0182.rt17.1.fc7.ccrmart there is no
>>> problem.
>>>
>> I managed to completely hang firefox (fc7) with flash 9 installed
>> (unkillable even with -9).
>
> Firefox with flash 9 does not work good , there are a lot bugs reported
> about ( just google ) and it hangs on vanilla or whatever other kernels
> as well. Not only Firefox but also Swiftfox, Opera, Epiphany etc.
>
> The most time Firefox dies when you use flash 9 and close a window or a
> tab.

More tests...

The problem is the rt kernel AFAICT, this goes beyond Flash 9, way
beyond:

_OpenOffice_ hangs with 2.6.21.5-rt20, works fine with stock Fedora 7
kernel. Flash 9 hangs with 2.6.21.5-rt20, works fine with the stock Fedora
7 kernel. Same machine booting different kernels, I'd say it is the
kernel.

The only way out for a hung app is a reboot.

Ingo: what would be a good way to trace this? It makes the rt kernels not
very usable at least on this hardware (more tests tomorrow in the CCRMA
machines).

Same on 2.6.21.5-rt18 with CONFIG_NO_HZ not set.

-- Fernando

  Last update: 2007-07-09 05:55    [W:0.056 / U:0.128 seconds]