    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] util-linux-ng 2.13-rc1
    Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    >> And this is really dumb. autotools is a completely pain in the ass and
    >> not useful at all for linux-only tools.
    >
    > A myth. It is quite useful for packagers, because of the high Just
    > Works(tm) factor. After porting an entire across several revisions of a
    > distro, the autotools-based packages are the ones that work out of the
    > box 90% of the time.

    And the 10% where it doesn't work it is a real pain to figure what goes
    wrong due to the completely unreadable Makefiles generated by autotools.
    After all they are not Makefiles, they are shellscripts embedded into
    Makefiles.

    > The other 90% of _my_ time comes from annoying people who roll their own
    > Makefile/build solution, which the packager has to then learn.

    Well, it's not *that* hard to write makefiles which follow the usual
    gnuish conventions, so stuff like "make DESTDIR=/tmp/buildroot install"
    works just fine. That isn't a reason to use autotools. Especially as
    people get that wrong *even with* autotools from time to time ...

    cheers,

    Gerd

      Last update: 2007-07-06 11:05    [W:0.029 / U:90.584 seconds]