SubjectRe: blink driver power saving
Date
On Wednesday 04 July 2007 18:11, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > tristate "Keyboard blink driver"
> > >
> > > ...drivers are not expected to act on their own. I was expecting to
> > > get nice /sys/class/led* interface to my keyboard leds.
> > >
> > > BTW ... I still believe we should have /sys/class/led* interface to
> > > those leds. I'd like to make them blink with hdd activity on some
> > > machines... of course, that needs non-buggy KBC.
> >
> > I'll take patches. Ofcourse we'll have to keep the current EV_LED interface
> > for compatibility.
>
> Here's a working version. For some reason, it only works with capslock
> led. (But so does your code, is that thinkpad problem?)

My code does blink NumLock on my box (Dell) so I wonder why it does not
on your box...

Anyway, as far as the patch goes - I don't think we want to do it this
way for a couple of reasons:

1. It does not reflect the true device hierarchy - LEDs are not children
of input devices, they are children of whatever device that owns input
device. So in case of AT keyboard LEDs should grow from corresponding
serio port, not input device and so atkbd should register all of its leds.

2. LEDs will stop working if input device is grabbed via EVIOCSGRAB.
I think that grab should not cross subsystem boundaries.

--
Dmitry