    SubjectRe: The big suspend mess
    On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 02:27:47AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > IMHO the suspend code is currently way too much of a moving target which
    > > results in this mess.
    > >
    > > The correct order seems to be:
    > 0. Get someone to sign up as a maintainer for suspend, so we have
    > someone to blame for the mess? :-)

    The "SOFTWARE SUSPEND" entry in MAINTAINERS already contains a victim... ;-)

    My impression is that suspend is an area of the kernel that does not
    lack maintainers - you and Rafael are doing a good job, and there's e.g.
    also the maintained code formerly known as suspend2.

    But some basic questions like e.g.
    - What should be done in the kernel and what in userspace?
    - How should this be implemented?
    - What must subsystems and drivers do?
    - What must subsystems and drivers not do?
    seem to be in a constant flux because the big picture everyone agrees
    upon seems to be missing.

    > > 1. agree on what the suspend code as a whole should look like
    > > 2. implement this
    > > 3. fix ALL drivers to work at least as good as they do today
    > > 4. get it tested in -mm
    > > 5. fix all bugs people run into
    > > 6. submit it for inclusion in Linus' tree
    > > 7. quickly work on the most likely big amount of bug reports
    > >
    > > Step 1 is the most important one - evolving code is often something
    > > good, but in this case with different people trying to evolve the
    > > suspend code in different directions it simply results in a big mess.
    > Pavel

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2007-07-05 03:25    [W:0.022 / U:3.008 seconds]