SubjectRe: acpi=off vs. blacklist (HP DC 7700)
On Tuesday 31 July 2007 06:35, Ph. Marek wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> I have two machines which freeze during boot; this seems to be ACPI-related,
> because with acpi=off they start.
> The first one is the HP DC 7700; some summary can be seen on
> It hangs after a line
> ACPI assume root bridge[\sp_.pci0] bus is 0

Looks like this box has been broken since December, 2006!
Not booting unless "acpi=off" is a serious failure.

> The second one is a notebook; a Roda Rocky III+ RK886EX, which just shows a
> blank screen.

Please get Linux up and running on the two boxes
using whatever means are at your disposal (some mentioned
in the thread above are acpi=off, pci=noacpi,
pci=conf1, noapic hda=noprobe hdc=noprobe)

Download the latest stable kernel ( today)
Make sure that the latest kernel still fails unless
you apply the workaround(s).

Then open two a bug report for each machine here:

Attach the output from acpidump, as well as the
complete dmesg and lspci -vv output,
and paste the contents of /proc/interrupts.
Then, if you can capture the console output taken from the actual failure
case, that would be ideal

> As we drive many machines from the same kernel image via PXE, I tried to
> insert them into drivers/acpi/blacklist.c; but that doesn't help, either -
> the notebook hangs as before, no matter whether I set is_critical_error or
> not.
> [ I suppose I wrote the entries wrong; is there some HOWTO? I used
> acpidump/acpixtract/acpitbl, copied other blacklist entries, and took
> "OEM Table ID", "OEMID", "OEM REVISION". Help? ]

Lets see if we can find out what the problem is before we
blacklist the machines.