SubjectRe: forcedeth ?
On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 01:10 +0200, Sasa Ostrouska wrote:
> On 7/31/07, Kay Sievers <kay.sievers@vrfy.org> wrote:

> > > Yes but the rules are based on the MAC address no ?
> >
> > The automatic rule creator, uses MAC addresses by default, yes. There
> > have been extensions for S/390 support recently, to create other sorts
> > of matching rules.
> >
> > The rules that rename the interface, are not limited in any way, and can
> > match on any property of the device, they are just not created
> > automatically today, but can be specified manually.
> >
> > Maybe the network susbsytem should let us know in the event environment,
> > that a random MAC was created, so we can automatically create rules that
> > uses the path to the hardware as a match instead.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Kay
> >
> And why not just use the PCI ID instead of the MAC address ?

PCI ID's? And when you have multiple identical cards like every other
server has?

You could use the slot number and such, but _usually_ the MAC address is
what you want because it is unique by itself. The MAC is just the best
default in most cases, because it usually identifies the connector where
the cable goes in ...

Udev computes the path to the device, like used in
the /dev/disk/by-path/ links, that could be used as a stable identifier,
but still, to use that automatically, the kernel would need to let us
know, that we shouldn't use the random MAC.

Kay

  Last update: 2007-07-31 01:37    [W:0.052 / U:0.204 seconds]