SubjectRe: bonnie++ benchmarks for ext2,ext3,ext4,jfs,reiserfs,xfs,zfs on software raid 5
On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 10:29 -0400, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> Overall JFS seems the fastest but reviewing the mailing list for JFS it
> seems like there a lot of problems, especially when people who use JFS > 1
> year, their speed goes to 5 MiB/s over time and the defragfs tool has been
> removed(?) from the source/Makefile and on Google it says not to use it
> due to corruption.

The defragfs tool was an unported holdover from OS/2, which is why it
was removed. There never was a working Linux version. I have some
ideas to improve jfs allocation to avoid fragmentation problems, but jfs
isn't my full-time job anymore, so I can't promise anything. I'm not
sure about the corruption claims. I'd like to hear some specifics on
that.

Anyway, for enterprise use, I couldn't recommend jfs, since there is no
full-time maintainer.

Thanks,
Shaggy
--