SubjectRe: 2.6.23-rc1: no setup signature found...
Borislav Petkov wrote:

> Right, this was too easy to be true. I now did:
>
> qemu -hda /dev/hda -snapshot
>
> and booted from the hd using the installed grub and the same kernel and it
> _didn't_ boot showing again "no setup signature found... "

Okay, so it's an algorithmic problem. This is quite important to know.

Is /boot a separate partition on your disk by any chance? Either way,
this means we can use qemu to debug this, which will make it a lot easier.

This is what I'd like you to do next:

- run qemu in one window with the -S -s options.
- in another window, do:

gdb
target remote localhost:1234
set architecture i8086
disp/i ($cs << 4)+$eip
br *0x10200
br *0x20200
br *0x30200
br *0x40200
br *0x50200
br *0x60200
br *0x70200
br *0x80200
br *0x90200

# ... hopefully you're now stopped at a jump instruction
p/x $ds

# Hopefully this is showing, say, 0x9000 if you're stopped
# at 0x90200

# Where X is the first digit of the address stopped at:
dump memory setup.dump 0xX0000 0xX8000

Please send me setup.dump plus your vmlinuz file.

Thanks,

-hpa

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans