    SubjectRe: Kernel modules compilation
    On 28/07/07, shacky <> wrote:
    > > Symbol: USB [=y]
    > > Prompt: Support for Host-side USB
    > > Defined at drivers/usb/Kconfig:51
    > > Depends on: USB_SUPPORT && USB_ARCH_HAS_HCD
    > > Location:
    > > -> Device Drivers
    > > -> USB support (USB_SUPPORT [=y])
    > Could you tell me how you found them, please?

    Some of them I just knew from past experiences where to find, some of
    them are logical (like, obviously 'reiserfs' is found in the
    Filesystems submenu), some I searched for using "/" and a few I

    > > Hint: In menuconfig, type "/" to search.
    > Thank you very much!
    You're welcome. By the way; if you had taken the time to read the
    text at the top of the menuconfig interface you'd have known this
    already - "... Press <Esc><Esc> to exit, <?> for Help, </> for

    > > Not really. Your distribution could be loading a ton of modules that
    > > you don't really need. 'lsmod' will just show you what is currently
    > > loaded, but that that doesn't necessarily mean that all those modules
    > > are really needed.
    > Ok, how I can know what modules are needed and what not? Only knowing
    > the hardware of my system?
    If you know the hardware of the system, the filesystems you use etc
    etc, then it should be possible to deduce what modules you need...
    Read the help text for each config option related to your modules and
    think about whether or not you need it...

    > Another question please, what the symbol "---" near a kernel
    > configuration entry in menuconfig means? This entry is activated (with
    > * or M) or not?
    It means that the option was automagically selected by some other
    option you selected, so you can't disable it unless you first disable
    that other option that selected it.

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please

      Last update: 2007-07-28 01:07    [W:0.023 / U:1.060 seconds]