SubjectRe: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]
Date
On Friday 27 July 2007 18:08:44 Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-07-27 at 13:45 -0400, Daniel Hazelton wrote:
> > >
> > > The balance in _my_ world seems just fine. I don't let any of those
> > > system maintenance things run while I'm using the system, and it
> > > doesn't bother me if my working set has to be reconstructed after
> > > heavy-weight maintenance things are allowed to run. I'm not seeing
> > > anything I wouldn't expect to see when running a job the size of
> > > updatedb.
> > >
> > > -Mike
> >
> > Do you realize you've totally missed the point?
>
> Did you notice that I didn't make one disparaging remark about the patch
> or the concept behind it? Did you notice that I took _my time_ to
> test, to actually look at the problem? No, you're too busy running
> your mouth to appreciate the efforts of others.

If you're done being an ass, take note of the fact that I never even said you
were doing that. What I was commenting on was the fact that you (and a lot of
the other developers) seem to keep saying "It doesn't happen here, so it
doesn't matter!" - ie: If I don't see something happening, it doesn't matter.

> <snips load of useless spleen venting>
>
> Do yourself a favor, go dig into the VM source. Read it, understand it
> (not terribly easy), _then_ come back and preach to me.

I've been trying to do that since the thread started. Note that you snipped
where I said (and I'm going to paraphrase myself) "There is another way to
fix this, but I don't have the understanding necessary".

Now, once more, I'm going to ask: What is so terribly wrong with swap
prefetch? Why does it seem that everyone against it says "Its treating a
symptom, so it can't go in"?

Try coming up with an answer that isn't "I don't see the problem on my $10K
system" or similar - try explaining it based on the *technical* merits. Does
it cause the processor cache to get thrashed? Does it create locking
problems?

I stand by my statements, as vitriolic as you and Rene seem to want to get
over it. So far in this thread I have not seen one bit of *technical*
discussion over the merits, just the bits I've simplified and stated before.

> Have a nice day.

I am. You being nasty when somebody gets fed up with a line of BS doesn't stop
me from having a nice day. Only thing that could make my life any better
would be to have the questions I've asked answered, rather than having
supposedly intelligent people act like trolls.

DRH

--
Dialup is like pissing through a pipette. Slow and excruciatingly painful.