    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
    On 7/25/07, Matthew Hawkins <darthmdh@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On 7/26/07, Ray Lee <ray-lk@madrabbit.org> wrote:
    > > I'd just like updatedb to amortize its work better. If we had some way
    > > to track all filesystem events, updatedb could keep a live and
    > > accurate index on the filesystem. And this isn't just updatedb that
    > > wants that, beagle and tracker et al also want to know filesystem
    > > events so that they can index the documents themselves as well as the
    > > metadata. And if they do it live, that spreads the cost out, including
    > > the VM pressure.
    >
    > We already have this, its called inotify (and if I'm not mistaken,
    > beagle already uses it). Several years ago when it was still a little
    > flakey patch, I built a custom filesystem indexer into an enterprise
    > search engine using it (I needed to pull apart Unix mbox files). The
    > only trouble of course is the action is triggered immediately, which
    > may not always be ideal (but that's a userspace problem)

    With all this discussion about updatedb and locate and such, I thought
    I'd do a Google search, (considering I've never heard of locate before
    but I've seen updatedb here and there in ps lists) and I found this:

    http://www.linux.com/articles/114029

    That page mentions something called "rlocate", which seems to provide
    some sort of almost-real-time mechanism, although the method it does
    so bothers me -- it uses a 2.6 kernel module AND a userspace daemon.
    And from what I can tell, there's no indication that this almost
    "real-time" (--I see mentions of a 2 second lag--) system
    replaces/eliminates updatedb in any way, shape, or form.

    http://rlocate.sourceforge.net/ - Project "Web Site"
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/rlocate/ - Source Forge Project Summary

    The last release also appears a bit dated on sourceforge... release
    0.4.0 on 2006-01-15.

    Just thought I'd mention it.

    --
    Michael Chang

    Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments. Send me ODT,
    RTF, or HTML instead.
    Thank you.