SubjectRe: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> you dont _have to_ cooperative with the maintainer, but it's certainly
>> useful to work with good maintainers, if your goal is to improve Linux.
>> Or if for some reason communication is not working out fine then grow
>> into the job and replace the maintainer by doing a better job.
>
> The idea of growing into the job and replacing the maintainer by proving
> the you are doing better job was viable few years ago but may not be
> feasible today.

IMO... Tejun is an excellent counter-example. He showed up as an
independent developer, put a bunch of his own spare time and energy into
the codebase, and is probably libata's main engineer (in terms of code
output) today. If I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I think the Linux
community would be quite happy with him as the libata maintainer.

> The another problem is that sometimes it seems that independent developers
> has to go through more hops than entreprise ones and it is really frustrating
> experience for them. There is no conspiracy here - it is only the natural
> mechanism of trusting more in the code of people who you are working with more.

I think Tejun is a counter-example here too :) Everyone's experience is
different, but from my perspective, Tejun "appeared out of nowhere"
producing good code, and so, it got merged rapidly.

Personally, for merging code, I tend to trust people who are most in
tune with "the Linux Way(tm)." It is hard to quantify, but quite often,
independent developers "get it" when enterprise developers do not.

> Now could I ask people to stop all this -ck threads and give the developers
> involved in the recent events some time to calmly rethink the whole case.

Indeed...

Jeff

  Last update: 2007-07-26 06:17    [W:0.314 / U:0.896 seconds]