    SubjectRe: [patch] mm: reduce pagetable-freeing latencies
    On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > In fact, i discussed with peter and I think the best is to only have one
    > entry in the stack mmu_gather structure.

    Four or eight would be much nicer than one, but you're right there's
    a stackdepth worry: good spotting of those unmap_mapping_range cases,
    I'd certainly been thinking we were fairly near the top of the stack
    in unmap_vmas, which is not so (or not obviously so) in those cases.

    > If we fail to allocate a page
    > to batch entries, we flush that one and steal it :-) Then we have a page
    > to gather more.

    That will often be the case for anonymous pages, but not for pagecache
    pages. I had wondered whether to make exit_mmap unmap the stack first
    (rather than text first as usually happens), but seems rather a hack.

      Last update: 2007-07-26 19:15    [W:0.021 / U:1.824 seconds]