SubjectRe: RFT: updatedb "morning after" problem [was: Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23]
On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 02:23:30PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
> That would just save reading the directories. Not sure
> it helps that much. Much better would be actually if it didn't stat the
> individual files (and force their dentries/inodes in). I bet it does that to
> find out if they are directories or not. But in a modern system it could just
> check the type in the dirent on file systems that support
> that and not do a stat. Then you would get much less dentries/inodes.

FWIW, find(1) does *not* stat non-directories (and neither would this
approach). So it's just dentries for directories and you can't realistically
skip those. OK, you could - if you had banned cross-directory rename
for directories and propagated "dirty since last look" towards root (note
that it would be a boolean, not a timestamp). Then we could skip unchanged
subtrees completely...

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans