    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
    On 07/25/2007 10:28 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    >> Regardless, I'll stand by "[by disabling updatedb] the problem will
    >> for a large part be solved" as I expect approximately 94.372 percent
    >> of Linux desktop users couldn't care less about locate.
    > i think that approach is illogical: because Linux mis-handled a mixed
    > workload the answer is to ... remove a portion of that workload?

    No. It got snipped but I introduced the comment by saying it was a "that's
    not the point" kind of thing. Sometimes things that aren't the point are
    still true though and in the case of Linux desktop users complaining about
    updatedb runs, a comment that says that for many an obvious solution would
    be to stop running the damned thing is not in any sense illogical.

    Also note I'm not against swap prefetch or anything. I don't use it and do
    not believe I have a pressing need for it, but do suspect it has potential
    to make quite a bit of difference on some things -- if only to drastically
    reduce seeks if it means it's swapping in larger chunks than a randomly
    faulting program would.

      Last update: 2007-07-25 10:49    [W:0.021 / U:11.876 seconds]