SubjectRe: Question about core file generation
Ravinandan Arakali (rarakali) wrote:
> Hi,
> When a process dumps core, the do_coredump() initiates the core
> file generation. Is this operation synchronous(does the kernel
> wait for core to be completely written to disk) ?

The operations whereby

(1) a process is in the process of exiting while;
(2) the kernel is doing a coredump

is asynchronous with respect to each other, since the process could have
received an abort signal while the the kernel initiated the core dump.

> Basically, if I have the parent process waiting for exit of
> child which dumped core, can the parent access the core immediately
> on receipt of "child exit" message ? Is it possible that the
> core is still in the process of being written ? If so, what's
> the event the parent needs to wait for to be assured of a complete
> core.

When a child exits, check if the core dump file is still opened by a handle
(HINT: lsof).

AFAICS from the kernel code, the core dump data or file routine is mutexed
to ensure that there is only one process handling the core dump file.

You could check if there are still open file handles on the dump. If there
are none, it means that the dump had been completed.

HTH.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo
Softare Engineer/Network Co-Administrator

--
The Astra Group of Companies
5-3-11 Sekido, Tama City