SubjectRe: [ck] Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
On 7/26/07, Ray Lee <ray-lk@madrabbit.org> wrote:
> I'd just like updatedb to amortize its work better. If we had some way
> to track all filesystem events, updatedb could keep a live and
> accurate index on the filesystem. And this isn't just updatedb that
> wants that, beagle and tracker et al also want to know filesystem
> events so that they can index the documents themselves as well as the
> metadata. And if they do it live, that spreads the cost out, including
> the VM pressure.

We already have this, its called inotify (and if I'm not mistaken,
beagle already uses it). Several years ago when it was still a little
flakey patch, I built a custom filesystem indexer into an enterprise
search engine using it (I needed to pull apart Unix mbox files). The
only trouble of course is the action is triggered immediately, which
may not always be ideal (but that's a userspace problem)

--
Matt