    SubjectRe: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console
    On 7/25/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
    > On Wednesday 25 July 2007 09:57:47 am Yinghai Lu wrote:
    > > >
    > > > At which point? We already do the legacy probe if there are no
    > > > PNP devices. Do you mean we should also do the legacy probe if
    > > > there are PNP devices, but no serial devices were found? That
    > > > might be reasonable to do, but wouldn't have prevented the problem
    > > > on Sebastien's machine, because his machine *does* have PNP UARTs.
    > >
    > > but still could have problem. if the system does not have any uart,
    > > and So we can not find that in DSDT...and we add legacy again...that
    > > is not right.
    >
    > I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
    >
    > The behavior with my patch is: If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it
    > does not describe any UARTs, we assume the box has no UARTs. If we
    > don't have PNPBIOS or ACPI, we blindly probe for legacy UARTs.
    >
    > What behavior are you suggesting?

    *** If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it does describe any UARTs, we
    assume the box has no other legacy UARTs.
    *** If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it does not describe any UARTs,
    we blindly probe for legacy UARTs. ----------in case old box DSDT
    doesn't have PNP0501 there in DSDT.
    If we don't have PNPBIOS or ACPI, we blindly probe for legacy UARTs.

    YH

      Last update: 2007-07-25 18:47    [W:0.021 / U:151.668 seconds]