SubjectRe: commit 7e92b4fc34 - x86, serial: convert legacy COM ports to platform devices - broke my serial console
On 7/25/07, Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@hp.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 July 2007 09:57:47 am Yinghai Lu wrote:
> > >
> > > At which point? We already do the legacy probe if there are no
> > > PNP devices. Do you mean we should also do the legacy probe if
> > > there are PNP devices, but no serial devices were found? That
> > > might be reasonable to do, but wouldn't have prevented the problem
> > > on Sebastien's machine, because his machine *does* have PNP UARTs.
> >
> > but still could have problem. if the system does not have any uart,
> > and So we can not find that in DSDT...and we add legacy again...that
> > is not right.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.
>
> The behavior with my patch is: If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it
> does not describe any UARTs, we assume the box has no UARTs. If we
> don't have PNPBIOS or ACPI, we blindly probe for legacy UARTs.
>
> What behavior are you suggesting?

*** If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it does describe any UARTs, we
assume the box has no other legacy UARTs.
*** If we have PNPBIOS or ACPI, and it does not describe any UARTs,
we blindly probe for legacy UARTs. ----------in case old box DSDT
doesn't have PNP0501 there in DSDT.
If we don't have PNPBIOS or ACPI, we blindly probe for legacy UARTs.
YH

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans