    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

    * Rene Herman <rene.herman@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On 07/25/2007 10:28 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    >
    > >>Regardless, I'll stand by "[by disabling updatedb] the problem will
    > >>for a large part be solved" as I expect approximately 94.372 percent
    > >>of Linux desktop users couldn't care less about locate.
    > >
    > > i think that approach is illogical: because Linux mis-handled a
    > > mixed workload the answer is to ... remove a portion of that
    > > workload?
    >
    > No. It got snipped but I introduced the comment by saying it was a
    > "that's not the point" kind of thing. [...]

    ok - with that qualification i understand.

    still, especially for someone like me who frequently deals with source
    code, 'locate' is indispensible.

    and the fact is: updatedb discards a considerable portion of the cache
    completely unnecessarily: on a reasonably complex box no way do all the
    inodes and dentries fit into all of RAM, so we just trash everything.
    Maybe the kernel could be extended with a method of opening files in a
    'drop from the dcache after use' way. (beagled and backup tools could
    make use of that facility too.) (Or some other sort of
    file-cache-invalidation syscall that already exist, which would _also_
    result in the immediate zapping of the dentry+inode from the dcache.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-07-25 13:39    [W:0.032 / U:32.000 seconds]