SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23

* Rene Herman <rene.herman@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/25/2007 10:28 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> >>Regardless, I'll stand by "[by disabling updatedb] the problem will
> >>for a large part be solved" as I expect approximately 94.372 percent
> >>of Linux desktop users couldn't care less about locate.
> >
> > i think that approach is illogical: because Linux mis-handled a
> > mixed workload the answer is to ... remove a portion of that
> > workload?
>
> No. It got snipped but I introduced the comment by saying it was a
> "that's not the point" kind of thing. [...]

ok - with that qualification i understand.

still, especially for someone like me who frequently deals with source
code, 'locate' is indispensible.

and the fact is: updatedb discards a considerable portion of the cache
completely unnecessarily: on a reasonably complex box no way do all the
inodes and dentries fit into all of RAM, so we just trash everything.
Maybe the kernel could be extended with a method of opening files in a
'drop from the dcache after use' way. (beagled and backup tools could
make use of that facility too.) (Or some other sort of
file-cache-invalidation syscall that already exist, which would _also_
result in the immediate zapping of the dentry+inode from the dcache.)

Ingo

  Last update: 2007-07-25 13:39    [W:0.487 / U:0.932 seconds]