    SubjectRe: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23
    On 25/07/07, Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
    [snip]

    > Well I never said real world tests aren't acceptable, they are. There is
    > a difference between an "it feels better for me", and some actual real
    > measurement and analysis of said workload.

    Let me tell you about the use-case where swap prefetch helps me. I
    don't have actual numbers currently, only a subjective "it feels
    better", but when I get home from work tonight I'll try to collect
    some actual numbers for you.

    Anyway, here's a description of the scenario (machine is a AMD
    Athlon64 X2 4400+, 2GB RAM, 1GB swap, running 32bit kernel &
    userspace):

    A KDE desktop with the following running is common for me
    - A few (konsole) shells open running vim, pine, less, ssh sessions etc.
    - Eclipse (with CDT) with 20-30 files open in a project.
    - Firefox with 30+ tabs open.
    - LyX with a 200+ page document I'm working on open, is running.
    - Gimp running, usually with at least one or two images open (~1280x1024).
    - Amarok open and playing my playlist (a few days worth of music).
    - At least one Konqueror window in filemanager mode running.
    - More often than not OpenOffice is running with a spreadsheet or
    text document open.
    - In the background the machine is running Apache, MySQL, BIND and
    NFS services for my local LAN, but they see very little actual use.

    Now, a thing I commonly do is fire up a new shell, pull the latest
    changes from Linus' git tree and start a script running that builds a
    allnoconfig kernel, a allmodconfig kernel, a allyesconfig kernel and
    then 30 randconfig kernels. Obviously that script takes quite a while
    to run and loads the box quite a bit, so I usually just leave the box
    alone for a few hours until it is done (sometimes I leave it over
    night, in which case updatedb also gets added to the mix during the
    night). This usually pushes the box to use some amount of swap.

    Without swap prefetch; when I start working with one of the apps I had
    running before starting the compile job it always feels a little laggy
    at first. With swap prefetch app response time is not laggy when I
    come back. The "laggyness" doesn't last too long and is hard to
    quantify, but I'll try getting some numbers (if in no other way, then
    perhaps by using a stop watch)....

    Fact is, this is a scenario that is common to me and one where swap
    prefetch definately makes the box feel nicer to work with.

    --
    Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>